Monday, February 20, 2012

Tree planting

I just finished planting a sapling Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis) and four sapling American Holly (Ilex opaca) trees that I brought home from the southern Cumberland Plateau, near Altamont, Tennessee. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will survive. I know that this isn't the time of year for transplanting trees, but the opportunity presented itself and I've been wanting to plant a few evergreen species around the house. Neither one of these trees is native to the forest around Nashville, but they are native to Tennessee. In a month or so I also plan to transplant a few Eastern Redcedars (Juniperus virginiana) from within our woods into strategic spots in the yard. Whether for the quick gratification of tomatoes or the long range perspective of trees, it feels good to care for a garden.

No comments: