Thursday, April 26, 2012

Standing in the dripping forest

Patiently my dog, Sadie, waits for me on the trail ahead as I stop and stare. The green woods are remarkably beautiful in the rain. So many shades of green! A veritable rainbow of green!

In the wake of a thunderstorm, Sadie and I seized the chance for a quick walk before sunset. Raindrops were still falling lightly from the sky, but it was as if they were mixed with drops of sunlight. The mixture of sunlight and rain coming through the clouds revealed a most delightful palette of colors. The green was everywhere one cared to look - the green of mosses, poplar, Trillium, Christmas fern, maple, lichens, basswood, Viola, beech, algae, sycamore - all aglow in the green, luminous air. Already lush and green from the spring rains, the forest was now suddenly awash with excess green, bursting with chlorophyll, extravagant with life.

And I was glad to be there, standing in the dripping forest, staring at the marvelous profusion of green as my dog waited patiently for me on the trail ahead.

No comments: