Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gone reading

This week I have been busy reading and thinking through David Haskell's delightful book, The Forest Unseen: A Year's Watch in Nature. The book was born out of a year spent watching a one-square-meter section of the forest floor not far from his classroom at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. Combining focused observation with poetic description and scientific details, Haskell tells the stories of the ecology and natural history of old-growth forest on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.

I am so excited about this book! Haskell's style and focus is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to do with my time in our woods. Even better was that just a couple of days after I discovered the book, I was able to hear Dr. Haskell speak as a guest author at Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary. I expect to give a complete review and praise in a future post, so stay tuned. In the mean time, you may want to check out Haskell's own blog, which he calls Ramble.

No comments: