Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Coyotes and the return of the wild

At 3:10 am last night I looked out the bathroom window just in time to watch 3 coyotes walking across the yard. I was thrilled! Their light coat barely stood out in the darkness. They moved across the yard as smoothly as shadows. Almost immediately they passed from view, but I picked them up again out the back window just before they slipped into the forest. I returned to bed content and happy just knowing the coyotes are out there.

I know coyotes don't have much of a fan club. Indeed, I am sure they are feared and vilified by most of my neighbors. But I am glad they're here in our woods. It is becoming increasingly clear to ecologists that most healthy ecosystems need a top predator (see Stolzenburg's Where the Wild Things Were for a summary the of current understanding). The wolves and cougars that once lived in the area are long ago (and likely forever) gone. Although less fierce and effective in the role of top predator, coyotes are beginning to fill the void.

For me the coyotes do something more. They bring something that cannot be measured in terms of biodiversity and the estimated ecosystem health. Coyotes return wild to the woods. When hiking alone at night, the howl of nearby coyotes first bring shivers and then a heightened alertness. I am reminded of all that is free and untamed and my walk becomes so much more than exercise or stress-relief.
Yosemite Coyote

I know the interface between predator and human is complicated. Homeowners in wild places need to take precautions to make sure they don't loose small pets or chickens. But coexistence with predators is possible. Personally, I believe that it it is not only possible, but desirable.

Helpful information on coexistence with coyotes in the Nashville area can be found at www.nashvillecoyotes.com.

On a related note, here is an interesting article about the breeding habits of urban coyotes published at ScienceDaily. Urban Coyotes Never Stray: New Study Finds 100 Percent Monogamy.

No comments: