Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving! I don’t have fame and fortune or any of the other things the world would normally use to measure success. What I do have is the things that matter most, and I have those things in abundance beyond all reason.

I have a beautiful and delightful wife who never ceases to amaze and encourage me with her enthusiasm for life. I have no idea how she does everything she does. Her rare ability to find the good in everyone is only surpassed by her ability to serve others without the need for her own recognition. And Beth’s physical beauty is captivating. In my opinion, she is by far the most beautiful woman in the world. Even after 24 years, I can’t believe I get to be married to her.

Beth and I are blessed with two wonderful kids that make parenting look easy. Hannah has grown into a beautiful, loving, hardworking student who cares deeply about a whole host of social issues. Every since she was old enough to express an opinion, Hannah has been there to speak up for those who are in need or misunderstood and neglected. She is an inspiration to me always to stand for what is right.

Our son, Joshua, has become a principled young man who really does live those 12 points of the Scout Law (trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc, etc). He is strong and fiercely loyal. If I were trapped in a burning building, Joshua is the guy I’d want coming in after me. It also brings me joy that Joshua fills our house with music. One of my favorite things is to relax in the evening in a house filled with the gentle, beautiful music flowing from his guitar.

To top it all off, our family is blessed to live in a cozy little house in the woods. To be able to walk daily in an old forest soothes my spirit and keeps me well. The chain of events that led to our move here almost two years ago can only be attributed to the hand of a loving God. Rarely a day goes by that I don’t say to myself, “I can’t believe I get to live here.”

So on this special day, I am thankful to be alive and enjoying life with my family. In the only things that really matter, I am blessed beyond measure.


No comments: