Friday, March 1, 2013

Wet wildflowers on a cold, gray day

With snow showers and temperatures just above freezing, today was mostly just cold, gray, and wet. Nonetheless, I just got a new camera and was dying to try it out. Luckily, the camera is a weatherproof Nikon Coolpix AW-100. My walk in the hollow brought me cold hands, muddy knees, and these pictures. If you want to see more detail, clicking on any of the pictures will open up a much larger version. Except for Harbinger-of-Spring, which seems oblivious to the cold, all the flowers I saw today were closed shut to endure the cold.

Harbinger-of-Spring (Erigenia bulbosa)

Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata)

Cutleaf Toothwort, Harbinger-of-Spring, and remnants of
Beechdrops (Epifagus virginiana) from last September



Cutleaf Toothwort (Cardamine concatenata)

Hepatica - first bloom of the Spring. I am so happy
to have discovered that we have Hepatica in our hollow.

No comments: