Saturday, August 18, 2012

A window into the woods

Light and shadow play among the branches in the woods behind our house. 50 feet outside our kitchen window is another window. This second window is a natural opening through the trees that allows my eyes to venture into the woods. In winter I can see further, but in the full-leaf darkness of summer my eyes wander only 75 or 100 feet before they are stopped by the overwhelming green gridlock of leaves.

I find that anytime I glance out the back window, my eyes are invariably drawn into the forest. This is a world of light and shadow, a world of dappled light on leaf, a world dominated by the horizontal lines of dark boles, a woods lovely, dark, and deep. This is a world that is always changing, ever the same, always compelling, ever beckoning.

No comments: