Sunday, August 5, 2012

Trail dreaming

Trail dreaming
As much as I enjoy my daily walks in our little hollow, I also hear the call of distant hills and I find that I'm itching to go backpacking again. The urge has been slowly creeping up on me, but now it has taken over. No  doubt I'll be spending an inordinate amount of time thinking and planning, weighing my gear, pouring over maps, and dreaming of trails ahead.

Most of our Scout outings over the last year were canoe trips. This was so that we would be prepared for our trek in canoe country. Paddling a canoe is fun, but it's been more than a year since I've walked a long trail. For me, walking is the essence of simplicity in nature. A year off is definitely too long of a hiking hiatus for me. I need to make time for some solo wilderness wandering this fall.

Me at Martha's Pretty Point on the trail to Virgin Falls in Tennessee
Lightweight camp at Big Laurel Falls
Complete kit, 20 lbs.

No comments: