Monday, August 20, 2012

Wilderness is at our doorstep

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown,
for going out, I found, was really going in." -- John Muir
I have come to the conclusion that I am a wandering homebody. A woodland wayfarer at heart, I love nothing more than hearth and home with my family. John Muir once described breaking away from the city and literally running into the mountains as if running for his very life. I hear the call of wild places, too. But I also know that days and years away from home is not for me. Fortunately, wilderness is at our doorstep.

Being often in wild places is vital to my sanity. I know that I am healthier when I can often get outside and feel the sun and the wind and the rain. I also know that wilderness is not limited to majestic far away lakes and mountains. One doesn't need to live next to a national park to walk daily in wild places. Getting away from the constant lights and noise of the city is good, but in a pinch anywhere outside will do, whether it be a city park, a nearby woods, or a forgotten hedgerow. The birds that visit my feeder are just as wild as those who live deep in the forest. The moss growing in a corner of the yard is home to a myriad of creatures that would take a lifetime to know, if only I would take the time to see.

The beauties of nature are not somewhere else, but all around us. All we must do is walk out the door and see. Go ahead! Walk out the door and experience the wonder. Nature is not far off. Wilderness is at our doorstep.

No comments: